“Why are you smiling?” I get asked that often especially if I am sitting alone. I answer, “I had a personal thought that made me smile.” The personal thought could be one in the past, at the moment, or something in the future.
I had a deacon that came to me with a complaint. Usually
when a deacon tells the pastor that “we need to talk” it is not good. It means
that the pastor has not followed the perceived mold standardized by the powers
that control the church. Did I just write that?
He wanted to know if I was ever serious. I responded, “As
serious as a heart attack.” He had a complaint from a church member that sad
when she discussed the sickness of her mother to me that I smiled. I guess it
was the wrong facial expression.
When the deacon finished his grievance with me, I smiled and
said, “It takes less muscles to smile than it did to have the grim reapers face.”
I inherited the smile/crooked grin from
my mom.
What he did not know was I smiled to keep from crying. I
replied to his never serious face tirade by sharing a few moments of my life
with him. I said, “In a marriage and family class at the University of
Montevallo I took a test to check my well-being. I experienced the death of my
dad and mom while attending the university, both passing before I graduated. I
experienced the layoff from a company that had never had a layoff in the
history of the plant. I was taking fifteen hours of classes, working twenty
hours a week part time at minimum wage in the university carpenter shop,
married with two children, no insurance, and a pregnant wife. I was a
bi-vocational pastor at the time. The test revealed that I was a prime
candidate for a heart attack. Yes, I know what it is to be serious. I smile
because I am following God’s call on my life.”
The deacon stood before in shock. I told him that I would
talk with the complaining parishioner. Most Baptist church members look as
though they are made at the world. We have an expression in Chilton County, Alabama
for such folks. It goes like this, “The look like a jackass eating saw briars.”
More people are attracted to a smiling person than those I described. I’m
smiling now and hope you are too.
Another time I was reprimanded for being too humorous when
preaching. Some “stick in the mud” said the pulpit was no place for humor. Early
in my ministry a lady told me that I would be successful in preaching because I
have a great balance between humor and seriousness. She said it was a gift from
God.
After the reprimand, I lost my gift of humor for a short
period of time. One day in seminary the preaching professor asked this
question. “Ladies and gentlemen why is it that you try to imitate such and such
preacher when God calls you for who you are and the gifts he has blessed you.
Be who you are.” I rebounded and used the gift of humor and regained my
smiling.”
I have learned in life that people do not like to see happy
people and will do what they can to still the joy out of life. A smile can calm
a fear, help a hurt, and encourage healing. I have had plenty of people tell me
that they were going to “wipe that grin ff my face.” I still have it especially
when time are hard and hurt is great.
Yeah, I have dark and sad moments like we all do. I remember
momma and when she was sad. She got her guitar and started singing. She would
begin by singing a sad Hank Williams tearjerker and before long she would be
singing a Ray Stevens laughter songs.
When my Aunt Annie was in the hospital, Lisa and I paid her
a visit. She was my favorite aunt because she could make you laugh and smile. We
knew she did not have long, and I wanted to make her smile. I said, “I love you
Aunt Annie.” As a nurse turned to her side and I sang Aunt Annie a song that momma
and she sang. It goes like this. “I see your hindy so white and shiny, it makes
me giggle to see it wiggle.” She gave me a big smile. Those were the last words
I said to her.
Jesus had an attractive smile. I say that because children loved
Him and He them. He loved His disciples
“These things have I spoken unto you, that my joy
might remain in you, and that your joy might be full.” John 15:11 KJV
Our heavenly Father smiled and encouraged us to smile.
For his anger endureth but a moment; in his favour is
life: weeping may endure for a night, but joy cometh in the morning. Psalm 30:5
The Lord make his face shine upon thee, and be gracious
unto thee: The Lord lift up his countenance upon thee, and give thee peace.” Numbers
6:25-26 KJV
A merry heart maketh a cheerful countenance: but by
sorrow of the heart the spirit is broken. Proverbs 13:15 KJV
Louis Armstrong sings:
When you're smilin', when you're smilin'
The whole world smiles with you
When you're laughin', when you're laughin'
The sun comes shinin' through
SMILE
No comments:
Post a Comment