One day in the Cement Plant cantina I planted a seed in a co-worker’s mind. Grunt was his nickname and he is a very good friend. He resembled Chuck Norris and was a daredevil that would try most anything that was dangerous and exciting. In fact during the days when streaking was popular, Grunt ran through the streets of Montevallo wearing sneakers and a smile.
My
friend Keilan Gore and I tried an experiment on Grunt. Looking at him in a
sincere and concerning look I told Grunt that he was a Homosapien. His look was
one of unbelief and said, “I can’t believe what you called me.”
I told him that he was covered with epidermis and that he had phalanges. By this time, he wanted to know why.
Everyone
in the cantina was interested in our conversation. Keilan and I could barely
keep from laughing. I said, “Grunt, a Homosapien is another word for man.”
Keilan told him that epidermis was the skin that covers your body. I told Grunt
that phalanges were his fingers.
Grunt laughed and said, “I thought I must have caught some terrible disease.” The look on his face was priceless. Keilan and I planted a seed creating doubt and confusion on our good-natured friend.
A
seed has the potential to produce depending on the soil. Grunt was fertile soil
since he did not understand the terms that Keilan and I used in our charade. The
law of the harvest is you reap what you sow, you reap more than you sowed, and
you reap in due time.
One
Spring dad bought some cantaloupe seeds from Murry Glass feed and seed in Jemison,
Alabama. Dad prepared the ground in anticipation of a half-acre of delicious
cantaloupe. The vines were beautiful and full of blooms. Dad’s bag of cantaloupe
seeds produced all the pickles that momma could can. All dad could deduce was
that cucumber and cantaloupe seeds look alike and someone placed cucumber seeds
in the cantaloupe bind. Dad reaped what he planted.
Life
is a process of sowing and reaping. In today’s technologically savvy climate seeds
of discord produce an abundance of conflict, division, and mistrust. Seeds
planted decades ago are growing chaos and confusion to the extent that evil is
the new good and good the new evil. Proverbs 6:16–19 lists “one who sows
discord among brothers” as one of the seven things God hates.
The
seed of dishonesty can be planted in a person’s life and, over time, grow into
more serious issues such as loss of trust, damaged relationships, or personal
downfall. In Psychology 101 at the University of Montevallo were studied about “self-fulfilling
prophecy.” That what social media does. The principle is that if you tell
someone something negative long enough that will believe the lie.
Some
of us tried with an experiment. We picked an unsuspecting soul, and we
individually asked if the poor soul felt okay. It wasn’t long before she went
to a mirror to check if she were okay. There wasn’t anything wrong, but the
power of suggestion won out.
I
think it ironic that a beautiful lady or handsome man that are news anchors
will tell bad and disturbing news for thirty minutes and we wonder why the
world is going to hades in a hand basket.
Someone
once asked me why they have such violent movies. My answer surprised the person.
I said that the movie depicted a real crime. The script was from an official police
report. When planting seeds of violence you reap iniquity. Proverbs 22:8 says, “He
that soweth iniquity shall reap vanity: and the rod of his anger shall fail.”
It
is important to plant seeds that produce good fruit. Planting seeds of hope leads
to harvest of encouragement, peace, and joy.
Years
ago, my children do not want to attend a Christmas gathering saying, “They are
just a bunch of sticks in the mud gripping and complaining.” I told them that
we could go and make a difference by having a good time and not allowing the negative
to control.
One
of my favorite stories is of Johnny Chapman September 26,
1774 – March 18, 1845. Known as Johnny Appleseed he planted apple
seeds wherever he traveled. He created apple nurseries and promoted the importance
of the apple.
Sow
to yourselves in righteousness, reap in mercy; break up your fallow ground: for
it is time to seek the Lord, till he come and rain righteousness upon you.
Hosea 10:12 KJV
No comments:
Post a Comment