Thursday, May 14, 2020

USED


Used.  Used conjures many different notions.  Most people think of used cars.  I have a football teammate from high school that started selling used (junker) cars and today has transformed his business to a very respectable pre-owned dealership.  In the beginning, he would sell these very used cars very cheap to customers that were financially strapped and that did not have a good credit record.  He described to me the process.  An individual, poor or an immigrant, would buy a car for about $1500 with monthly payments of $200.  After about six months, these people would fall behind on payments, be arrested for driving without a license, or be illegal.  My friend would pull the vehicle and then sell it to another poor person.  Six months at $200 per month equals $1200.  My friend could make several thousand dollars with one old used car selling and reselling it.  It makes you think about the person buying the car.  As my friend made more money, he was able to purchase better used cars, I’m sorry I meant pre-owned vehicles.

There is a big market for used furniture and other materials used in building industry.  I had the privilege of visiting a home that was built with used signs, lumber, bricks, and tin.  In fact, the used tin was the ceiling in the kitchen area.  It is a beautiful place built with used material.

There is a market for used clothes.  When I grew up, we called them hand-me-downs.  Now there are consignment shops that sell used clothing.  What one cannot give away, people will buy at yard sales, bargain boxes, or flea markets.

If it had not been for used stuff when I was growing up, we would have never owned anything.  My kids quizzed me about how did I know how to “fix” stuff.  My answer was my family had to repair used stuff making it useful.  That’s how I learned to work on old vehicles, repair clocks, and reuse nails.  You ain’t ever lived unless you have had to pull, straighten, and drive used nails.

Let me shift gears, no pun intended, on the subject of used.  In 1983, I went with the Chilton Baptist Builders on a mission trip to Kemmer, Wyoming.  If that name rings a bell, Kemmer is the home of the first JC Penny store.

On this trip I, along with another couple, had the privilege of staying in an apartment complex when normally we, builder volunteers, would stay in the church where we were on mission.  The luxury of spending a week in a nice apartment came at the expense of a church member named Wayne.

One night after one of devotional services, Wayne said he wanted to talk with us.  I had preached that previous Sunday, Wayne had heard me, and he had attended the devotionals.  Thinking he was wanting to spend some time with us concerning spiritual friendship and fellowship, we agreed to meet.

After a few minutes, our friends and I realized that Wayne was not interested in spiritual things, but wanted us to use our influence to become part of a pyramid scheme something a kin to AmWay.  He was trying to elevate himself by having us and the potential of influence the rest of the mission team, and folks back in Alabama under his scheme. I will never forget the sick feeling we had thinking that we had been used.

I wish I could say that I have always recognized that people were trying to use me.  I constantly try to guard against being used.  I have had folks that have tried to use my influence as Director of Missions to profit them in some agenda or another.  They say things like, “Our company provides online broadcasts of church services.  Could you provide us with a list your churches where we can contact them?”  I guard my list and they don’t get it.

Preachers that are desperate to find churches call and say, “Dr. Hopper can you give me a list of your churches that are without pastors?”  I reply, “If you send me a resume, I will glad to pass it along.”  They usually do not send me one.

No one likes to be used.  When I worked with the utility crew at the cement plant, I got stuck for several weeks on a sandblasting job.  When I asked if I was the only one that could operate it, I got a reply something like this: “Hopper, the other guys don’t work as good as you do.”  I responded with, “I thought it was your job to make them work.  I’d send them to the house if they didn’t want to work.”  Then the reply, “Well, if you got a good mule, you work him.”  NO ONE LIKES BEING USED!

When I think of the spiritual ramifications of being used, I am reminded that many people in church work have thankless jobs.  So many believers feel used by the church and the joy of serving vanishes to be replaced discouragement.  When the Lord utilizes us, it brings honor to Him and encourages us.  I had rather be engaged in the work of God than used by people or the devil.  Here is a case in point.

Then entered Satan into Judas surnamed Iscariot, being of the number of the twelve.  And he went his way, and communed with the chief priests and captains, how he might betray Him unto them.  And they were glad, and covenanted to give him money.  And he promised, and sought opportunity to betray Him unto them in the absence of the multitude (Luke 22:3-6 KJV).

Old Judas was seized with remorse when he realized he had been used to betray the Savior.

1 comment: