Saturday, June 25, 2022

Heirloom Rock'n Horse

Fourteen years ago, the Hopper family passed another milestone in life’s journey.  Our first grandson, Jon Grady Chapman celebrated his first birthday on June 13.  He actually turned one on the seventeenth, but the thirteenth was a Saturday where family could attend.

It was rather big party.  Jon Grady’s uncle Andy, the interior designer, brought a cake covered with a miniature circus tent.  I really thought with both extended families there that he should have brought a real circus tent, but we won’t go there.

Jon Grady’s grandparents thought it would be nice to give Jon Grady an heirloom rocking horse.  We got the idea after attending Friendship Baptist Church’s Sunday school get-together at Harold Wayne and Charlotte Leonard’s cabin in Vineland, Alabama.  When we saw it and asked what the horse cost, I got the idea that I could make it out of better wood and build it cheaper than the Gatlinburg price. 

Remember, it was an heirloom horse.  I love woodworking, but at the time I did not have the place for my tools or the time to do much woodworking nowadays.

We asked Liz Thompson if she would take pictures of the horse and e-mail them to me.  Liz did and I thought I could do it, but I realized that plans would be much better.  Pam, our wonderful Associational secretary, suggested that I look online for some plans.  I did and I ordered them from California.  I got them in two days, which amazed me seeing as how some of our mail-outs to local people take more time than that.

I had the plans for several weeks before getting enough time to undertake the project.  I designated one week of vacation to go back up home to Sugar Ridge and build an heirloom rocking horse.  My brother sells hardwood and I got him to get me some cherry wood.  He handpicked me some beautiful cherry and sized it according to the dimensions of the plan.  He delivered it and I immediately started to lay out the pieces from the patterns.  I admit that I read the instructions several times before starting.  I know that is not manly, but it is better to read instructions on some things before assembling them.

I have a small band saw, but it is designed for thin small horses and not heirloom rocking horses.  Cherry is hardwood, but it is a good wood to use.  I decided to go to a Lowe’s and get a new jigsaw.  My old one has disappeared.  I think an interior designer has it.  While at Lowe’s I decided that I need a belt sander achieve a more quality finish.  I am glad I got the cherry wood cheap, tool costs were rising, but nothing compared to today’s prices.  I thought a trip to Gatlinburg for a purchase might be cheaper.

With new tools, I cut out the horse and sanded the pieces to perfection.  I started assembling some pieces and I realized I needed a biscuit cutter, biscuits, and wood glue.  No, I was not cooking, but in cabinet building, biscuits, or oval shaped dowels, help to strengthen joints when gluing wood together.  I made another trip to Lowe’s.  Did you know that Lowe’s stays open to 10:00 PM?  At midnight, I glued the horse’s head to the body with biscuits and glue.  It made a pretty joint and I had three new and handy tools to do woodworking one of these days.

I returned to Linden where Uncle Aaron, and Poppy, that’s me, started the process of creating an heirloom.  The wood was too pink.  I was convinced would turn dark but I stained cherry wood with cherry stain and sealed it with three coats of floor grade polyurethane.  It did look great.  With the heirloom plans, I ordered a blond mane and tail, saddle, bridle, and eyes, which made it more beautiful.

When Jon Grady sat on the horse, he made a clicking sound, which brought smiles to everyone.  I did create a beautiful piece of artisanship and problems.  Every kid at the party wanted a horse and asked their dads if they could build one for them.  It also means that when other Jon Gradys come into the Hopper family that more heirloom horses will have to be created. 

Gatlinburg sure looks nice in the fall of the year.

See, I have chosen Bezalel son of Uri, the son of Hur, of the tribe of Judah, and I have filled him with the Spirit of God, with skill, ability and knowledge in all kinds of crafts-- to make artistic designs for work in gold, silver and bronze, to cut and set stones, to work in wood, and to engage in all kinds of craftsmanship (Exodus 31:1-4 NIV).

No comments:

Post a Comment