Thursday, July 11, 2019

"Widow's Mite"




Mrs. Callie Plier, a widow in my home church and one of my earliest Sunday School teachers, taught me faith by example.  Mrs. Callie lived so far off the main road that the phone company would not provide her service.  I quit and refused to support our volunteer fire department because they refused to provide service for her. 

On top of that, Mrs. Callie lived alone and did not own a car.  She said that her situation provided her time to spend with the Lord.  She was a praying woman and lived by faith.

Mrs. Callie generously supported her church and it’s missions.  I remember visiting her after she invited me to her home.  She wanted to talk to me about my future in the ministry.  After a long affirmation of my call, she gave me ten dollars, a large sum for a small widow lady.  She said that God called me and she wanted to support my ministry.  I used it as seed money for books at the University of Montevallo and the beginning of a long journey in ministry.

I thank God for her encouragement, her teaching, and her demonstration of faith by giving.  When we give to the cause of Christ, we worship, demonstrate faith, and become ensamples for others.

Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen (Hebrews 11:1 KJV)

Now concerning the collection for the saints, as I have given order to the churches of Galatia, even so do ye.  Upon the first day of the week let every one of you lay by him in store, as God hath prospered him, that there be no gatherings when I come (I Corinthians16:1-2 KJV)

Brethren, be followers together of me, and mark them which walk so as ye have us for an ensample (Philippians 3:17 KJV).


No comments:

Post a Comment