Thursday, May 9, 2019

"Ah. the Years After Graduation"


Forty-eight years ago, I experienced nervous anticipation as I entered the Jemison High School auditorium.  Actually, I had been on edge all day.  It was the climax of weeks of expectancy filled with numerous warnings of a bunch of do’s and don’ts.  Weeks of preparation for a great climatic moment were now happening before me.

I was about to enter uncharted territory for my family and me with a feeling of “can this be real?”  No one in my immediate family had ever been on this journey.  No one in my family had received the honors and recognition that I was about to receive, but I was not sure I would receive them.

Weeks prior to this magic moment, things were not well at home.  Mom and I were not on the best of terms.  Looking back it was a mother’s love and son’s rebellion, a mother’s joy and a son’s fear, and a mother’s tug and a son’s release.

Things were not so good at school.  I, along with other students, had grown tried of school, racial tension, and each other.  There were so many expectations from everyone.  Some were preparing for that big bash.  Some were making plans to get a job, go to college, or go to Viet Nam.  I just wanted to get out of school.

As I walked the hall, I realized that this night would be the last time I would see some of my friends and my classmates.  All of us had the look of eager expectation and tearful eyes of separation.

Someone one asked, “Did you wear your shoes?”  Yes, I wore shoes, but part of my fear for the moment was one of the “don’t” warnings.  Counselors instructed everyone to wear black shoes only.  I protested that mom had bought me a new pair of shoes.  There were black and white dress shoes.  I tried to conceal them from the terrible tyrants who controlled the magnanimous event of the evening.

The closer I got to the auditorium, the more my classmates celebrated.  It was hard to celebrate with them because some of my friends and I were the reason for the buzz and the reason for my anxiety.  Chuck Ellison sent my anxiety to new levels of fear when he proclaimed, “They’re not going to let us graduate tonight.”  Yeah, the big moment for my family and me was my high school graduation.  It was a family first, or at least I hoped it would be.

The night before, under the veil of darkness, several of us delivered a gift to Jemison High School that will be long remembered in the annals of Jemison history.  It was a labor of love and skilled deceit.  Weeks before we planned to do something special to show our appreciation for twelve, some of us thirteen, years of hard work, hundreds of tests, hundreds of facts, questions, and answers, hundreds of hand written papers, and thousands of pages of homework. 

We found an abandoned outside toilet.  Some call it an outhouse or privy.  Up home, we just call it a toilet.  It was a toil to get to it, especially at night.  We painted it with bright colors of white, pink, blue, and yellow.  One of my classmates, Ricky Coles, used his dad’s pickup to carry out the dastardly deed of hauling it to town. Ricky, the Pike brothers, the Ellison brothers, and yours truly loaded the toilet with the intentions of placing it on a small island curb at the main junction and red light of US Highway 31 and Alabama State Highway 191.  We were all Beta club members and we decided that might get us in serious trouble with the police if we put it there. 

We hauled it around town for a long time until we figured out what to do.  We all wanted to do it in honor of our time at Jemison, so that it when we decided to place it in the most inconspicuous part of the school.  We put in under the flagpole in front of the school with a big note declaring it as a gift from the seniors of the class of ’71.  We celebrated our dastardly deed by returning to Ricky’s house and downing a few glasses of ice, cold fresh milk.  It was the Pike brothers’ first drink of fresh milk.

Chuck, to this day, says, “I didn’t think we were going to graduate.”  I assured him that we would and we did.  Life has been a forty-eight year journey thus far.  With that in mind, CONGRATULATIONS SENIORS OF 2019 as you begin a new turn in your journey of life.

Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding (Proverbs 9:6 KJV).


No comments:

Post a Comment